Wednesday, August 21, 2013

A little about my Work



Ok lots of my post will mention my work, one thing that will help to make some things more clear is knowing how and where I work lol

I work, for those that don't know or haven't read my profile... at the Milan Army Ammunition Plant (MLAAP), on the Fire/EMS dept. This website http://www.milancommercialcomplex.com/ , it is more for marketing to other companies to sub-lease operating space, but gives some good info about the plant in general and some good aerial pictures. As you may read, the plant complex is over 22,000 acres, so you could compare the place to small county. Each operating line is like it's own factory complex in said county. The contract to operate the facility requires there to be an onsite 24/7 Fire/EMS dept.
 
Everyone on the Fire/EMS dept is at least an EMT and there is at least one Paramedic per shit.  We have a Class A rated EMS service. We are only responsible for call on the plant, so it is not quite as busy or "glamorous" lol as other departments might be. However of those currently employed all but one has worked in EMS and/or Fire Services before coming here, so most of us have "been there" before.  We are mainly about fire prevention and safety rather than putting one out, although we can do that too.  We regularly inspect the fire suppression systems and alarm system around the plant, make safety inspections as it related to fire safety. We also do annual prescribed burning to clear certain foilage areas.  I have joked that I've started more fires there than I've put out...lol

Below is a sample of my schedule:

It may seem "weird" but it is actually pretty good after you get used to it. Would be hard for me to go back to a 8-hour day, 5-day work week now. One good thing you may notice is we get 5 days off every 3rd weekend. We have to have a minimum number of people on duty, so when one person takes off, someone else has to cover that slot. When you here me speak of working an extra shift, depending on when it is, it could mean I've worked a triple (72  hours straight), but at the same time, it's not like I've been "making little ones out of big ones" the whole time. The longest stretch I've ever worked was 7 days (-8 hours), from Fri on week 2 thru Thu on week 3. I was of the 3p-11p the 3rd week Wed, but worked the 7a-3 and the 11p-7a Although that was a good check, made was glad to be home!!! That was done at time my children weren't staying with me, otherwise probably wouldn't have been gone that long. But now it is only my youngest, who is 17, staying with me now.
 
So that's it in a small nutshell, not as detailed as I could be, but maybe more than some wanted anyway lol
 
Take care,
Steve Fall
 


No comments:

Post a Comment